LECHON KAWALI KARE-KARE
15 minutes + 30 minutes air drying
- 1 kg whole pork belly
- 1 (4 cups) L water
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 cups cooking oil, for frying
- 1 tbsp achuete seeds
- 1 (100 g) pc onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 1 (170 g) jar SKIPPY® CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER
- 1/4 tsp iodized fine salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 (200 g) pc eggplant, sliced
- 1 (120 g) bundle sitaw, sliced
- 2 (120 g) bundles Pechay Tagalog, ends trimmed
- In a pot, boil pork in water for 30 minutes. Remove scum. Strain pork and reserve 2 cups of broth.
- Season pork with fish sauce. Let stand (air dry) for 30 minutes. Heat oil in a large pan and fry pork for 8 minutes. Slightly cool then slice meat. Set aside. Meanwhile, remove oil from pan but reserve 2 tablespoons oil.
- In the same pan, heat reserved oil and sauté achuete seeds until color leaks out. Discard acheute seeds. Sauté onion, garlic and peanut butter. Add broth, salt, and pepper. Stir and simmer for 3 minutes. Add eggplant and sitaw and cook until tender. Add pechay and cook until pechay leaves turn bright in color.
- Arrange sauce and vegetables in a bowl. Top with fried pork.